The benefits of meditation have long been recognized by both the religious and metaphysical sects of the world as a life-enhancing process that enables an alignment of the body/mind/spirit phenomenon. These many benefits include, but are not limited to: physical, mental and spiritual health, with most of the emphasis being on the mental and spiritual health affects as more long standing. Fortunately for us, medical science is starting to catch up and is finally also giving their ‘seal of approval’ while also acknowledging the potential physical health benefits as well.
So with world authorities in agreement, why does meditation still appear to be so elusive to our daily regimes? Knowing that such a simple process can have such positive effects, why aren’t more of us engaging in this practice? Perhaps one of the answers is that we are so unaccustomed to helping ourselves, often abdicating our health and well being to others who we deem more knowledgeable, skilled, gifted or deserving. However, I think that one of the reasons it has not yet become a daily staple for us all is that there is a misunderstanding about what meditation is and how it can be done!
So often I hear, “I just can’t do it! No matter how many times I’ve tried, I just can’t seem to clear the chatter and allow my mind to go blank”. Or, “I don’t know how to do it” or.. “I can’t get my legs to fold in that position!” Well, here’s the truth about meditation.
- Just pick a place where you will be undisturbed. You’re not necessarily meant to clear the inner chatter — you’re only meant to clear the outer chatter. What that means is that meditation is a time to block the outside noise from your awareness and go inside to hear what your heart has to communicate. If it takes a while for that message to come across clearly, have patience. Eventually, it will get softer and softer, quieter and quieter until you suddenly find yourself coming back to the present after a session and have no clear idea where you have been! You will just feel great — soft and relaxed, perhaps with some memory, profound message, or perhaps not. Either way, it’s OK!
- There is no right or wrong way to meditate! You may discover that you meditate better with music playing or with a guided visualization – find what works best for you. If you like using a mantra or a certain sitting or lying position, do so. If you prefer to do it alone or with others, do so. If it feels right to be out in nature……. you get the point. Explore where you most easily connect with your spirit and do so!
- It does help at first to create some consistency with your process, so when you find the right fit for you, try to do it at the same time and place everyday or as often as possible so that you are creating a meditation relationship with your body, mind and spirit. That way, almost on cue, you will be able to connect to your deepest, inner most self.
- Your meditation practice is exactly that! Your meditation practice! Therefore, you get to decide what works for you. Just do it and you will soon find just how wonderful it is to give yourself that gift of unconditional love and be present for yourself in a deep, abiding way.
- Have patience for yourself and love yourself under every circumstance, especially in your meditation practice. Just let it be and evolve how it needs to. If you seem to be challenged from time to time, just love yourself and know that it is still doing exactly what it is meant to do…..connect with all the parts of your being. They’re just waiting to love you!
- The breathing that takes place during the meditation process is intentional and creates that bridge between your outside world and your inside world. Make sure to acknowledge how appreciative you are to the life force energy that fills it! It’s your sure ticket to freedom!
If you are interested in a guided visualization meditation, I invite you to listen to my CELLpH™ LOVE CD. It will reawaken cellular memory of well-being and facilitate the process of bringing your cellular metabolism back into alkaline pH alignment for optimum cellular health and reproduction. Enjoy!
Many blessings of sheer joy, health and happiness!
With heartfelt gratitude,